The Handmade Toy Alliance has worked three long years to get to this point. Namely, getting a change to the Consumer Product Safety Improvment Act (CPSIA) that will stem the tide of tainted toys, almost all of which are imported, without imposing a regulatory environment on small, ethical manufacturers and crafters that will literally drive them out of business with red tape.
Since the day we opened our doors, we have been a staunch promoter of our local craft industry. We have been working side by side with countless local crafters trying to improve the CPSIA so that it does not put these small enterprises out of business. Your action to help save these small business is needed now more than ever.
How can you help?
A CPSIA amendment is currently in mark up in the Committee of Energy and Commerce in the House of Representatives. This amendment should be presented for a vote in this committee soon but surprisingly, despite all the rhetoric about supporting Main Street, not a single Democrat has voiced support. If this does not change, thousands of small businesses stand to be sacrificed at the alter of partisan politics.
We NEED your help! We need bipartisan support for this legislation to have any hope of it progressing through both houses of Congress. If your Congressman is on this list below, please call them NOW! Ask them to support the CPSIA amendment known as the ECADA. Learn more about the amendment.
- Rep. Tammy Baldwin (D-WI 2nd) (202) 225-2906 - Legislative Director: Ken Reidy email@example.com
- Rep. John Barrow (D-GA 12th) (202) 225-2823 - Legislative Director: Hill Thomas firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rep. G.K. Butterfield (D-NC 1st) (202) 225-3101 - Commerce LA: Saul Hernandez email@example.com
- Rep. Lois Capps (D-CA 23rd) (202) 225-3601 - Legislative Director: Jonathan Levenshus firstname.lastname@example.org
- Del. Donna M.C. Christensen (D-VI-At Large) (202) 225-1790 - Commerce LA: Angeline Muckle-Jabbar email@example.com
- Rep. Diana DeGette (D-CO 1st) (202) 225-4431 - Legislative Director: Brendan Devine firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rep. John D. Dingell (D-MI 15th) (202) 225-4071 - Commerce LA: Andrew Woelfling email@example.com
- Rep. Mike Doyle (D-PA 14th) (202) 225-2135 - Chief of Staff: David Lucas David.Lucas@mail.house.gov
- Rep. Eliot L. Engel (D-NY 17th) (202) 225-2464 - Commerce LA: Travis Osen-Foss firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rep. Anna G. Eshoo (D-CA 14th) (202) 225-8104 - Legislative Director: Casey Fromson email@example.com
- Rep. Charlie Gonzalez (D-TX 20th) (202) 225-3236 - Legislative Director: Brenda Muniz firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rep. Gene Green (D-TX 29th) (202) 225-1688 - Legislative Director: Abigail Pinkele Abigail.Pinkele@mail.house.gov
- Rep. Jay Inslee (D-WA 1st) (202) 225-6311 - Legislative Director: Beth Osborne email@example.com
- Rep. Edward J. Markey (D-MA 7th) (202) 225-2836 - Commerce LA: Ilya Fischhoff firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rep. Jim Matheson (D-UT 2nd) (202) 225-3011 - Commerce LA/LD: Shana Beavin email@example.com
- Rep. Doris Matsui (D-CA 5th) (202) 225-7163 - Commerce LA/LD: Kyle Victor firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rep. Frank Pallone Jr.(D-NJ 6th) (202) 225-4671 - Commerce LA: Tuley Wright email@example.com
- Rep. Mike Ross (D-AR 4th) (202) 225-3772 - Commerce LA: Kate Callanan firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rep. Bobby L. Rush (D-IL 1st) (202) 225-4372 - Commerce LA: Tim Robinson email@example.com
- Rep. Jan Schakowsky (D-IL 9th) (202) 225-2111 - Commerce LA: Megan Michaud firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rep. Edolphus Towns (D-NY 10th) (202) 225-5936 - Commerce LA: Lars Hydle email@example.com
- Rep. Henry A. Waxman (D-CA 30th) (202) 225-3976 - Commerce LA/LD: Zahava Goldman Zahava.Goldman@mail.house.gov
- Rep. Anthony Weiner (D-NY 9th) (202) 225-6616 - Commerce LA/LD: Yuri Beckelman firstname.lastname@example.org
EVEN IF YOUR CONGRESSMAN IS NOT ON THE LIST, WE NEED YOU TO CALL NOW! Find you congressman and call BOTH their DC and local offices and urge them to support HR 1939!
Please share this post with your friends and family, post to your facebook page, tweet it, etc. If you value hand crafted goods, we need your help on this today!